In the Midst of Global Pandemic

We've heard politicians, pastors, celebrities, business leaders, and just about anyone who can talk tell us that we'll get through this, we're all in this together. I wanted to head down that path and write a piece so inspirational and powerful that the world would find wisdom for this time. But then I reconsidered. What could I add that hadn't already been said? Not much. So I did this instead.

II Timothy 1:7 has been coursing through my mind since this all began. I decided to use it as a base, and then include Scripture that connected (sometimes tightly, sometimes loosely) to parts of that verse. My hope is that God might speak to you through one of these passages, and that will be a whole lot more effective than anything I could possibly write (although each passage below cries out to be preached, but I will contain myself). I hope you find some comfort, some inspiration, some motivation from something below. I've used the New King James Version because I like its lyrical quality and it most closely resembles the Scriptures that I memorized many years ago. No comments, no explanations, no pontificating on the passages. Just Scripture. Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.

============================================================

All passages from the New King James Version (NKJV) unless otherwise noted.

II Timothy 1:7 

For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

Not A Spirit of Fear

Psalm 23:4
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

Psalm 27:1
The Lord is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; Of whom shall I be afraid?

Psalm 27:3
Though an army may encamp against me, My heart shall not fear; Though war may rise against me, In this I will be confident.

Psalm 27:14
Wait on the Lord; Be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart; Wait, I say, on the Lord!

Psalm 34:4
I sought the Lord, and He heard me, And delivered me from all my fears.

Psalm 56:4
In God (I will praise His word), In God I have put my trust; I will not fear. What can flesh do to me?

Isaiah 41:10
Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’

Matthew 10:29-31
Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father’s will. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.

Romans 8:14-15
For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.”

Hebrews 13:6
So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

I John 4:18
There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear...


But of Power

Exodus 9:16
But indeed for this purpose I have raised you up, that I may show My power in you, and that My name may be declared in all the earth.

Psalm 59:16
But I will sing of Your power; Yes, I will sing aloud of Your mercy in the morning; For You have been my defense And refuge in the day of my trouble.

Psalm 71:18
Now also when I am old and grayheaded, O God, do not forsake me, Until I declare Your strength to this generation, Your power to everyone who is to come.

Psalm 147:5
Great is our Lord, and mighty in power; His understanding is infinite.

Proverbs 3:27
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, When it is in the power of your hand to do so.

Isaiah 40:26
Lift up your eyes on high, And see who has created these things, Who brings out their host by number; He calls them all by name, By the greatness of His might And the strength of His power; Not one is missing.

Isaiah 40:29
He gives power to the weak, And to those who have no might He increases strength.

Jeremiah 10:12
He has made the earth by His power, He has established the world by His wisdom, And has stretched out the heavens at His discretion.

Matthew 6:13
And do not lead us into temptation, But deliver us from the evil one. For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.

Romans 1:16
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.

Romans 15:13
Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

I Corinthians 1:18
For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

I Corinthians 2:3-5
I was with you in weakness, in fear, and in much trembling. And my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.

I Corinthians 4:20
For the kingdom of God does not consist in talk but in power. (ESV)

II Corinthians 4:6-8
For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellence of the power may be of God and not of us. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair;

II Corinthians 12:9
And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Ephesians 3:20-21
Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.

Ephesians 6:10
Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.

Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Revelation 5:13
And every creature which is in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, I heard saying: “Blessing and honor and glory and power Be to Him who sits on the throne, And to the Lamb, forever and ever!”


Of Love

Leviticus 19:18
You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the children of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the Lord.

Leviticus 19:34
The stranger who dwells among you shall be to you as one born among you, and you shall love him as yourself; for you were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.

Deuteronomy 6:5
You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength.

Psalm 40:16
Let all those who seek You rejoice and be glad in You; Let such as love Your salvation say continually, “The Lord be magnified!”

Proverbs 10:12
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins.

Micah 6:8
He has shown you, O man, what is good; And what does the Lord require of you But to do justly, To love mercy, And to walk humbly with your God?

Zephaniah 3:17
The Lord your God in your midst, The Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

John 13:35
By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”

John 15:9
As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love.

John 15:13
Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends.

Romans 5:8
But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Romans 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

Romans 8:35
Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?

Romans 8:37-39
Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 12:9
Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good.

I Corinthians 13:8
Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away.

I Corinthians 16:14
Let all that you do be done with love.

Galatians 2:20
I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

Ephesians 5:1-2
Therefore be imitators of God as dear children. And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma.

Colossians 3:14-15
But above all these things put on love, which is the bond of perfection. And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful.

II Thessalonians 3:5
Now may the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God and into the patience of Christ.

Hebrews 10:24
And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works,

I Peter 2:17
Honor all people. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the king.

I John 3:1
Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God!

I John 3:16
By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us. And we also ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.

I John 3:18
My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth.


Of Sound Mind

I Chronicles 28:9
As for you, my son Solomon, know the God of your father, and serve Him with a loyal heart and with a willing mind; for the Lord searches all hearts and understands all the intent of the thoughts. If you seek Him, He will be found by you; but if you forsake Him, He will cast you off forever.

Nehemiah 4:6
So we built the wall, and the entire wall was joined together up to half its height, for the people had a mind to work.

Job 38:36
Who has put wisdom in the mind? Or who has given understanding to the heart?

Psalm 26:2
Examine me, O Lord, and prove me; Try my mind and my heart.

Isaiah 26:3
You will keep him in perfect peace, Whose mind is stayed on You, Because he trusts in You.

Matthew 22:37
Jesus said to him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.

Mark 12:30
And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ This is the first commandment.

Luke 10:27
So he answered and said, “ ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind,’ and ‘your neighbor as yourself.’ ”

Luke 12:29-31
And do not seek what you should eat or what you should drink, nor have an anxious mind. For all these things the nations of the world seek after, and your Father knows that you need these things. But seek the kingdom of God, and all these things shall be added to you.

Romans 8:5
For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.

Romans 8:27
Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

Romans 12:2
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

Romans 12:16
Be of the same mind toward one another. Do not set your mind on high things, but associate with the humble. Do not be wise in your own opinion.

Romans 15:5-6
Now may the God of patience and comfort grant you to be like-minded toward one another, according to Christ Jesus, that you may with one mind and one mouth glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

II Corinthians 13:11
Finally, brethren, farewell. Become complete. Be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace will be with you.

Philippians 2:3
Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.

Philippians 2:5-11
Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross. Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Philippians 4:6-8
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.

Colossians 3:2
Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth.

Hebrews 10:16-17
“This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, says the Lord: I will put My laws into their hearts, and in their minds I will write them,” then He adds, “Their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more.”

I Peter 1:13
Therefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and rest your hope fully upon the grace that is to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;

I Peter 3:8
Finally, all of you be of one mind, having compassion for one another; love as brothers, be tenderhearted, be courteous;

Popular posts from this blog

The Light from The Darkness

An Actual Plan to Make America Great Again

Musings on Christmas - Part 5