The Light from The Darkness

 I woke up Wednesday morning with Genesis 1 coursing through my brain. I'm not sure why. But I started thinking through it and lingered on verse 4: And God saw the light, that it was good; and God divided the light from the darkness. (NKJV)

Divided the light from the darkness? How do you do that? If there is light, there isn't any darkness. Darkness is the absence of light. So just what happened here? What did God do to separate the light from the darkness?

Then it dawned (no pun intended) on me. He set the Earth spinning. The rotation of the Earth separates the light from the darkness. And having done that, the evening and the morning were the first day.

I'm not an astrophysicist, nor do I understand all the theories of how the universe began. But I did a little research to see what explanations are given for how and why the Earth's rotation began. I didn't find any satisfying answers. It's like that is just what is expected to happen if you're exploding a universe into place and causing gas and dust to coalesce into planet-sized objects. They just rotate!

I don't buy it. Not only does the Earth rotate, it rotates on a tilted axis. It's that tilt that results in the seasons we experience. From what I gather, the tilt is affected by the other planets in the solar system. So, should one of the other planets not be what it is or not be there at all, we wouldn't have the environment that makes our lives possible. God set the moon and the stars in place, in the exact places they are, to make our lives possible.

A friend just shared this passage with me that he read this morning and it fits this pondering so well:

Job 26:10 He drew a circular horizon on the face of the waters, At the boundary of light and darkness. (NKJV)


Popular posts from this blog

Musings on Christmas - Part 5

An Actual Plan to Make America Great Again